[OS X TeX] dvipng1-8 and SAGE

Thomas Rike tricycle222 at earthlink.net
Wed Aug 9 13:53:57 EDT 2006

On Aug 9, 2006, at 1:10 AM, Jonathan Kew wrote:

> On 9 Aug 2006, at 6:17 am, Thomas Rike wrote:
>>>
>>> Thank you for this hint (I'm so new to this that I didn't realize
>>> that the config.log was sitting there.) This is very
>>> illuminating. I am using Mac Intel and it appears that
>>> libkpathsea.a is referencing a ppc.
>
> Aha, yes, that explains it!
>
>>>   Do I need another libkpathsea.a for the intel Mac? I just
>>> finished looking at the web and saw that this same type of error
>>> occurred on May 4 in a post by Joseph Slater.  I couldn't quite
>>> make out what the final outcome was. I will look into an update
>>> since I installed in March. Thanks again.
>>>
>>> configure:2942: checking for kpse_set_progname in -lkpathsea
>>> configure:2972: gcc -o conftest -g -O2 -I/usr/local/teTeX/include/
>>> kpathsea -L/usr/local/teTeX/lib conftest.c -lkpathsea  -lgd -lpng
>>> -lz -lm  >&5
>>> /usr/bin/ld: warning /usr/local/teTeX/lib/libkpathsea.a archive's
>>> cputype (18, architecture ppc) does not match cputype (7) for
>>> specified -arch flag: i386 (can't load from it)
>>> /usr/bin/ld: Undefined symbols:
>>> _kpse_set_progname
>>> collect2: ld returned 1 exit status
>>> configure:2978: $? = 1
>>> configure: failed program was:
>>>
>> I have now reinstalled LaTeX using the i-Installer and checking in
>> the terminal I now have 2 architectures. I get
>>
>> Thomas-Rikes-Computer:~ trike$ file /usr/local/teTeX/lib/
>> libkpathsea.a
>> /usr/local/teTeX/lib/libkpathsea.a: Mach-O universal binary with 2
>> architectures
>> /usr/local/teTeX/lib/libkpathsea.a (for architecture ppc):
>> current ar archive
>> /usr/local/teTeX/lib/libkpathsea.a (for architecture i386):
>> current ar archive random library
>>
>> However, there is still a problem. The libkpathsea.a is out of
>> date. The configuration log now says
>>
>> configure:2942: checking for kpse_set_progname in -lkpathsea
>> configure:2972: gcc -o conftest -g -O2 -I/usr/local/teTeX/include/
>> -L/usr/local/teTeX/lib conftest.c -lkpathsea  -lgd -lpng -lz -lm  >&5
>> /usr/bin/ld: table of contents for archive: /usr/local/teTeX/lib/
>> libkpathsea.a is out of date; rerun ranlib(1) (can't load from it)
>
> I'm not sure why this happens (maybe Gerben could fix it in his
> package?), but you should be able to update it by running ranlib,
> as the error message suggests. You'll need to use sudo, otherwise
> you won't have permission to modify the file. So try:
>
>   $ sudo ranlib /usr/local/teTeX/lib/libkpathsea.a
>
> and then see if configure is happier.
>
> JK

Yes, ranlib made configure much happier. It got a little further.
Then it couldn't find gd.h, so I included another path and it finally
configured.

configure: creating ./config.status
config.status: creating Makefile
config.status: creating config.h

Unfortunately, make did not get very far

Thomas-Rikes-Computer:~/sage-1.3.6/spkg/build/dvipng-1.8 trike$ make
gcc -I/Users/trike/sage-1.3.6/local//include/freetype2 -I/Users/trike/
sage-1.3.6/local//include -g -O2 -Wall -I/usr/local/teTeX/include -I/
Users/trike/sage-1.3.6/local/include -I.  -c -o set.o set.c
set.c: In function 'WriteImage':
set.c:170: error: 'compression' undeclared (first use in this function)
set.c:170: error: (Each undeclared identifier is reported only once
set.c:170: error: for each function it appears in.)
make: *** [set.o] Error 1

I'll consider this thread closed since we have solved the
libkpathsea.a  problem. Thanks to everyone who helped. I really
learned a lot in two days. I will still play around with trying to
install dvipng-1.8, but the SAGE author William Stein has suggested
some workarounds since dvipng-1.6 is already installed with MacTeX.
It will be good to get back to just LaTeX and Mathematics for awhile.
If you are interested in computer experimentation in mathematics I do
recommend you look at SAGE (written in Python) which includes
interfaces with  GAP, Maxima, Singular, PARI, Matplotlib, Numeric,
Python, and IPython. It has a browser interface as well as the
ability to interface with Mathematica and Maple. Sage objects can be
included in LaTeX and evaluated interactively in the output. http://
modular.math.washington.edu/sage/

Thanks again. Tom Rike