[OS X TeX] Illustrator cannot use partial sets of TeX fonts

Peter Dyballa Peter_Dyballa at Web.DE
Wed Aug 9 16:33:07 EDT 2006

Am 09.08.2006 um 20:44 schrieb André Bellaïche:

> CMEX10: jeux partiels incorporés (=partial set), etc.

Oui, je comprend!

Did you determine the MAP file fragments containing the CM fonts? I
think it's particularly bsr.map, plus cm-super-t1.map and cm-super-
ts1.map (updmap --listmaps will show). After you've changed that file
you need to run at least 'sudo -H updmap-sys' that the versions of
pdftex.map or psfonts.map are built containing your changes.

> From console.log (I have just reinstalled Fontforge, then TeX with
> the GUI Latin Modern fonts):
> Aug  9 20:19:00 $ executing /Applications/Utilities/i-Installer.app/
> Contents/Resources/gluprunner
> Aug  9 20:19:00 $ gluprunner[2613]: putenv failure : Operation not
> permitted\n

Here happened some error which you should discuss with Gerben Wierda,
the author of i-Installer!

> The Latex command was pdflatex --shell-escape (I have wiped out
> simpdftex, which I found in the Preferences/Divers(=Miscellany).
>
> I cannot understand why there are still CMR and alike fonts in the
> PDF output. The source was:
>
> =======================
> % ESSAI. tex
> \documentclass{book}
> \usepackage[T1]{fontenc}
> \usepackage{lmodern}
> \usepackage[frenchb]{babel}
> \usepackage[applemac]{inputenc}
>
> \begin{document}
> P. 18
>
> $a$  $a + k\bigl(\frac{b-a}n\bigr)$  $b$
> \end{document}
> =======================
>
> Everything should be Latin Modern, don't you think?
>
> What's wrong ?

I don't know, either. It looks like someone or something is cheating.
Please look into the LOG file! I got from your example in my LOG (an
excerpt):

(/usr/local/teTeX/share/texmf.tetex/tex/latex/lm/t1lmr.fd) [1{/Users/
pete/Libra
ry/texmf/fonts/map/pdftex/updmap/pdftex.map}] (./AB-Test.aux) )</usr/
local/teTe
X/share/texmf.tetex/fonts/type1/bluesky/cm/cmsy7.pfb></usr/local/
teTeX/share/te
xmf.tetex/fonts/type1/bluesky/cm/cmmi7.pfb></usr/local/teTeX/share/
texmf.tetex/
fonts/type1/bluesky/cm/cmex10.pfb></usr/local/teTeX/share/texmf.tetex/
fonts/typ
e1/bluesky/cm/cmr10.pfb></usr/local/teTeX/share/texmf.tetex/fonts/
type1/bluesky
/cm/cmmi10.pfb>{/usr/local/teTeX/share/texmf.tetex/fonts/enc/dvips/lm/
lm-ec.enc
}</usr/local/teTeX/share/texmf.tetex/fonts/type1/public/lm/lmr10.pfb>

So at least one LM font is used – most probably for the sparse text!
It looks as if LM does not substitute CM in math mode, yet. The use
of particular fonts is hardcoded into the STY files, so it's hard to
substitute them.

André, can you check that the pdftex.map used for your test file
really contains '<<' in front of all CM font files? The same needs to
be true for LM. Again, 'updmap --listmaps' (sudo -h updmap-sys --
listmaps) should list which MAP file fragments updmap knows and which
are used to create the MAP files: those without leading '#' before
their names. The LM MAP file fragments all have 'lm' in their names.

Wouldn't it be easier to throw away this five letter word software?
The *bad* thing is that you need to make your enhanced versions of
the MAP file fragments so tough that they survive a TeX update! So
you can create private copies of them for your own private use, or
you set up a new system-wide complete.map MAP file fragment, delete
all the other MAP file fragments from updmap's list that are included
in complete.map and enable your complete.map as successor of the
deleted (in reality: commented) default 'scrap.'

BTW, I think in the recent TeX update (15 MB in tar.gz format) a
faulty version of updmap was included: it does not find nor create
files in the private area. (I am working on the bug that I found
earlier this evening.)

--
Greetings

   Pete

"What is this talk of 'release?' Klingons do not make software
'releases.'  Our software 'escapes,' leaving a bloody trail of
designers and quality assurance people in its wake."