[OS X TeX] How to convert eps w/bounding box to pdf retaining Bbox info

Adam R. Maxwell amaxwell at mac.com
Thu Aug 10 10:22:58 EDT 2006

On Aug 10, 2006, at 07:07, Markus Hänchen wrote:

> Hi,
>
> Being forced to move to pdflatex from tex+ghostscript because a
> collaborator cannot get its ghostscript working, I have to convert
> my eps files to pdf files. If I do a simply 'Save As' in
> Illustrator, the resulting pdf will be an A4 with lots of
> whitespace below and on top of my original figure. Not good.
>
> Although the eps file also was shown to have a Document Size of A4
> in Illustrator, by virtue of having a bounding box (the bounding
> box having been originally created by e.g. Igor or created by me in
> Illustrator), Latex (tex+ghostscript) handled these figures without
> any additional whitespace.
>
> The only work-around I have found is to define a different document
> size, be it in Illustrator or when creating a pdf directly out of
> Matlab (there one is limited to a number of fixed paper sizes)
> before saving as a pdf. This is quite cumbersome.
>
> Is there a better way to produce high-quality graphs with pdflatex
> without going the route of high-resolution bitmaps, especially for
> graphs coming from Igor or Matlab?

I've successfully used Ghostscript via epstopdf (in Terminal or via
an AppleScript droplet), or Stone PStill to convert EPS from Igor to
PDF.  Just opening the EPS in Preview and then saving it as PDF ought
to work as well, but I'm not sure what'll happen if your bounding
boxes are truly incorrect.

-- Adam