[OS X TeX] epspdf (was: How to convert eps w/bounding box to pdf retaining Bbox info)

Siep Kroonenberg siepo at cybercomm.nl
Fri Aug 11 05:01:24 EDT 2006

On Fri, Aug 11, 2006 at 12:22:49AM +0200, Bruno Voisin wrote:
> Le 10 août 06 à 20:54, Peter Dyballa a écrit :
>
> >~/.MacsOSX/environment.plist is the natural and only method to
> >teach GUI applications strange paths like /usr/local/bin or /opt/
> >local/bin.
>
> Here I still disagree with you: I'm totally adverse to a setting
> which, intended for one particular GUI application, would affect all
> the other GUI applications as well. As far as I understood, that's
> what ~/.MacOSX/environment.plist does.
>
> For good citizenship, any GUI app should make any change that it
> needs to introduce with respect to the default OS X setup specific to
> this app; ie, the change should not affect the other GUI apps. Any
> GUI app which needs /usr/local/bin in the path for the CLI processes
> it launches should add the path for these processes only, and not for
> the CLI processes launched by another GUI app.
>
> Bruno

The general idea is to bring the environment for GUI applications in
line with the one for terminal applications. Personally, I am quite
annoyed with the need for environment.plist; I wish my terminal
environment settings would apply automatically to ALL applications.
But maybe that is just my Linux bias.

Anyhow, I don't want to ask users to mess with such an obscure file,
so in practice we agree that epspdf should be made to work without
tampering with environment.plist, and it looks like that that can be
done.

--
Siep Kroonenberg