[OS X TeX] comments on 10.3 support

Gerben Wierda Gerben.Wierda at rna.nl
Sun Aug 20 03:10:58 EDT 2006

On Aug 18, 2006, at 17:44 , Adam Maxwell wrote:

> How many people are still using Panther (OS X 10.3) regularly?
> Since we can no longer test/debug BibDesk on it, it's becoming
> harder to maintain "support" with any degree of certainty that it
> actually works.  Dropping our notional support would allow us to
> remove some hacks (of varying degrees of nastiness), and probably
> make our primary platform (Tiger) more reliable.
>
> This only means that 10.3.9 users would be limited to using the
> last 10.3-compatible release, whatever that happens to be, but it
> would no longer be updated regularly.
>
> Apologies to those of you who receive this on bibdesk-users as
> well; please reply to only one of the lists.

I still use 10.3.9 on my main server machine.

Personally, I follow Apples strategy here with support. The current
and previous version are supported. Hence, security fixes are being
distributed by Apple for both 10.3.9 and 10.4, but not for 10.2.
Likewise, i-Installer is compild for 10.3 and up (ppc) and 10.4
(intel) and the binaris in the i-Packages are compild on 10.3 (ppc)
and 10.4 (intel), making them compatible with all Apple systems
10.3.9 and up.