[OS X TeX] Beginner help with TeXshop/MacTex needed

Rowland McDonnell rjmm-lists1 at fireflyuk.net
Fri Aug 25 15:59:02 EDT 2006

> Le 25 août 06 à 15:19, Rowland McDonnell a écrit :
>
> >> On Aug 25, 2006, at 5:01 AM, Rowland McDonnell wrote:
> >>
> >> Read README.howtexfindsfiles.txt available in:
> >>
> >> /local/teTeX/share/texmf.gwtex (there's a link to teTeX in
> >> //Library)
> >
> > Aha!  Great - thanks.  Okay, so that file tells me what file the
> > settings are made in - I need to edit
> > </usr/local/teTeX/share/texmf/web2c/texmf.cnf>
>
> Not really. All you have yo do is put your additions in the local
> system-wide texmf tree at /usr/local/teTeX/share/texmf.local/, then
> run "sudo texhash" in Terminal.

Okay - now I've had a closer look, I think I'd much rather set up my own
local texmf tree, so I can keep all my bits segregated from `everything
else'.  It'd make managing the mess easier from my point of view.

I think that does mean I need to edit /usr/local/teTeX/texmf.cnf.

Now, I still can't find anything to explain the syntax of the entries in
that file.  What *think* I'd like to do is just add another parallel
texmf tree:

/use/local/teTeX/share/texmf.rjmm

duplicating the structures found in (e.g.)
/use/local/teTeX/share/texmf.rjmm

Is that `not mad', and if so, erm, how do I do it?

btw, need I be concerned about the appearance of

/usr/local/teTeX/share/texmf.tetex/tex/latex/base

and

/usr/local/teTeX/share/texmf.local/tex/latex/base

?

(and other similar duplications)

[snip]

Anyone got any hints?