additional texmf tree for all users (was Re: [OS X TeX] Beginner help with TeXshop/MacTex needed)

Herbert Schulz herbs at wideopenwest.com
Sat Aug 26 11:56:41 EDT 2006

> [snip]
>>> It's not paranoid to say `Well, i-installer has already deleted
>>> hundreds of megabytes of data I wanted to keep, so I suspect that
>>> it might destroy data in the future if I use it again'.
>>>
>>> Since i-installer does blindly over-write things without warning -
>>> well, of *course* it'll delete data you want to keep.
>>
>> i-Installer has never erased any data for me, and I have never heard
>> of anybody for whom it has but you. It must be some error you have
>> made which produced this result.

Howdy,

Where did you put this data that was lost when you used i-installer
and what were you installing? I've also never had a problem with
files I put into texmf.local getting lost. The simple answer, if
you're worried about that, is to make a copy of texmf.local before
doing the update. Of course, if you put files in other branches of
tree, e.g., texmf.textex or texmf.gwtex, you WILL lose data when
there is an update; the only safe way to do an update and (almost)
guarantee not to have incompatible file versions is to delete and
rebuild those directories.

(herbs at wideopenwest.com)