[OS X TeX] Assorted unix woes (slightly OT)

Peter Dyballa Peter_Dyballa at Web.DE
Sun Aug 27 17:32:31 EDT 2006

Am 27.08.2006 um 23:04 schrieb Justin C. Walker:

>> 3. man
>>
>> For some reason, my MANPATH is set to MANPATH=/usr/man:/usr/X11R6/man
>
> This happens because the default on recent Mac OS X's is to use
> 'man.conf' instead of the environment variable (so MANPATH isn't
> initialized during the "normal" system operation).

I'm not sure whether changes to /usr/share/misc/man.conf on Tiger
really survive – this file was changed some days ago when I installed
the last security update. But it contains /usr/X11R6/man.

IMO ~/.MacOSX/environment.plist is a secure place. And in my tests
before I wrote the suite of scripts for the Make X11 Aware
application I found that this file is needed to launch X11
applications from the X11 programmes menu. The Apple X server is an
Aqua application and there is no other way to effect its runtime
environment, i.e. PATH, MANPATH, etc. Without ~/.MacOSX/
environment.plist and a sensible value for PATH only with bash the X
clients are found and usable, except one: texdoctk, which can't find
some Perl or TclTk objects.

--
Greetings

   Pete

Hard Disk:  A device that allows users to delete vast quantities of
data with
             simple mnemonic commands.