additional texmf tree for all users (was Re: [OS X TeX] Beginner help with TeXshop/MacTex needed)

Gerben Wierda Gerben.Wierda at rna.nl
Mon Aug 28 05:40:44 EDT 2006

> Again, I believe that this works. However I have not the slightest
> idea what i-installer will do with this directory when you will use it
> to update distribution.

It will not touch it.

Even if you want to uninstall *everything* (a choice the package offers)
it will not blindly remove /usr/local/teTeX but only try to remove the
directory if it is empty at the end of the uninstall work.

Having said that, probably the best way for Rowland's peace of mind (as
far as there is any ;-) is to create a directory like

/Users/Shared/texmf.rolandmcdonnell

and then use that in /usr/local/teTeX/texmf.cnf as you described

It would be advisable to hash that tree if it is large, as otherwise his
TeX will slow down. Any change on that tree should then be followed by the

    mktexlsr /Users/Shared/texmf.rolandmcdonnell

command.

PS. If Rowland wants to know how the TeX i-Package uninstalling works and
what is removed, he can inspect the removal script. It is pretty
straightforward. If he wants to know what is being removed before an
install is performed, he can inspect the preparation script. Both use
functions from the file tex.sharedscript.pm. It can all be inspected via
the Pkg Contents tab.