additional texmf tree for all users (was Re: [OS X TeX] Beginner help with TeXshop/MacTex needed)

Peter Dyballa Peter_Dyballa at Web.DE
Mon Aug 28 07:37:09 EDT 2006

Am 28.08.2006 um 13:26 schrieb William Adams:

> I'd prefer to have an additional, empty tree --- that could be used
> for personal customizations of all users of a given computer more
> easily.
>
> Alternately, would it work to put a local tree in /Users/Shared/texmf
> and then link to it (or make an alias?) to ~/Library/texmf (where ~
> stands for a user's home directory)?

Both would make it necessary that all participants have write access
and that best only the installing one has easy delete permission.
I.e. you need to create a new group and add these participants to it
and you need to give the directories quite unusual permissions
(directories 3775, file 664).

Which could be achieved in texmf.local, too.

Is the real world still not complicated enough? And who'll get blamed
when /usr/local/teTeX/texmf.cnf was changed? Who'll be responsible
for administering /usr/local/teTeX/texmf.cnf? And when this person is
on holidays?

--
Greetings

   Pete

War springs from unseen and generally insignificant causes.
                                        -- Anonymous