additional texmf tree for all users (was Re: [OS X TeX] Beginner help with TeXshop/MacTex needed)

William Adams will.adams at frycomm.com
Mon Aug 28 08:14:01 EDT 2006

On Aug 28, 2006, at 8:02 AM, Rowland McDonnell wrote:

> Thanks for your suggestion - but as I understand it, that would limit
> the additions to one user only.  Or have I missed something?

Well, I've just tested my idea and moving a personal texmf tree to /
Users/Shared/texmf and then linking to it using the command

ln -s /Users/Shared/texmf/ ~/Library/texmf

works (making an alias however doesn't --- when I tried this with an
alias it couldn't find varwidth.sty which is only in my personal
texmf tree).

Aside from Victor's concern about lots of people having write access,
I don't think there'd be any drawbacks of note, modulo removing the
option for customization for an individual user --- I'd welcome
correction on this.

As Gerben noted, one distinct drawback would be a decrease in
performance as opposed to having this in a tree which is pre-hashed.

William

--
William Adams
senior graphic designer

This email message and any files transmitted with it contain information
which is confidential and intended only for the addressee(s). If you are
not the intended recipient(s), any usage,  dissemination, disclosure, or
action taken in  reliance on it is prohibited.  The reliability of  this
method of communication cannot be guaranteed.  Email can be intercepted,
corrupted, delayed, incompletely transmitted, virus-laden,  or otherwise
affected during transmission. Reasonable steps have been taken to reduce
the risk of viruses, but we cannot accept liability for damage sustained
as a result of this message. If you have received this message in error,
please immediately delete it and all copies of it and notify the sender.