additional texmf tree for all users (was Re: [OS X TeX] Beginner help with TeXshop/MacTex needed)

Rowland McDonnell rjmm-lists1 at fireflyuk.net
Mon Aug 28 15:06:43 EDT 2006

Victor, thank you for your reply.  I appreciate the time you put in
trying to help me.  Unfortunately, I am not able to make much sense out
of what you wrote.

I decided that, rather than send the detailed point by point reply I
originally wrote, I would cause much less annoyance if I just posed the
single question I need an answer to - this is the information I need in
order to make sense out of your last reply to me.  If you can help me
get this information, I will be able to understand what you wrote to me
and the time you spent trying to help me - which I appreciate - will not
have been wasted.

Can you help me understand the syntax of texmf.cnf files?

That's all I need to know at the moment.

Thank you,
Rowland.

P.S.

Could I ask you to stop trying to get me to change my mind about how I
want to configure teTeX?   I'm sure I know what I want to do is the
right thing for me, and there's not the slightest chance that you could
change my mind.  Think of me as a crabby old man who's very set in his
ways - it's not even very far from the truth.