[OS X TeX] Entering specially formatted items in the index

Alain Schremmer Schremmer.Alain at gmail.com
Tue Aug 29 07:49:21 EDT 2006

Paul McCann wrote:

> Alain Schremmer wrote:
>
>> Now that the real important dust seems to have settled a bit, could
>> anyone help on how to index curly brackets?
>

> The following minimal document works for me;

So it does for me.

> that is, the first index  entry (in the output) looks like
>
>     {;} , 1
>
> and the second index entry looks like
>
>     something brack{}eted, 1

I agree.

What happened is that I was going by what  \usepackage{showidx} was
showing and, although I had already run into that problem, had forgotten
that, in such cases, showidx and makeidx differ in what they show. :-[

What \usepackage{showidx} shows in the margin is:

    something bracke""eted
    other
    ";"

My problem, though, is that I would like to keep the index entries in
the margin because they really help the students: a couple of pages
after having seen the term introduced, they will rely on some fuzzy
memory rather than retrieve the definition via the index. With the
margin entries, there is a better chance of them turning a few pages back.

But , since showidx seems to work completely independently of
\makeindex, I assume that this is rather hopeless.

Apologetic regards
--schremmer