additional texmf tree for all users (was Re: [OS X TeX] Beginner help with TeXshop/MacTex needed)

William Adams will.adams at frycomm.com
Tue Aug 29 09:03:37 EDT 2006

On Aug 29, 2006, at 8:29 AM, Rowland McDonnell wrote:

> How
> would a maintainer of a TeX installation on a Mac discover what is
> going
> to happen on running an update?

Start i-Installer
open up your preferred i-packages directory
open the package you're curious about
read the release notes

If you want more information than that, as Gerben noted, the source
is available, download the i-package and check out the files and
other information.

> What i-installer did was downloaded a large amount of data in multiple
> packages.  I did not install it - I just grabbed the packages.  I then
> tried to grab another one, and whoosh!  All the previously downloaded
> data had been deleted.
>
> There was *NO WARNING AT ALL*.  There was no installation.  Just
> downloads, and data loss.

I don't regard a program deleting something which it had downloaded
and which remains available for download as data loss --- a nuisance
and waste of time and bandwidth, perhaps, but it's not that big a
deal in the grand scheme of things --- and how can something be
``lost'' when you know where to get a new copy?

It's important to note here that Gerben has tried _very_ hard to make
i-Installer _very_ safe, and unlike Apple's own Installer the source
is available and verifiable --- by contrast, Apple's own installation
programs have in the past actually caused data loss for significant
numbers of users, but i-Installer can't do anything other than delete
things which it had placed on a user's hard drive (typically packages
compiled by Gerben himself), or things placed by the user in such
locations, and has never been responsible for things like deleting a
user's entire iTunes music library.

Can you re-create the exact circumstances which caused your
downloaded packages to be deleted? If you can post a specific
configuration and list of steps which result in this, I think
everyone would be grateful.

William

--
William Adams
senior graphic designer

This email message and any files transmitted with it contain information
which is confidential and intended only for the addressee(s). If you are
not the intended recipient(s), any usage,  dissemination, disclosure, or
action taken in  reliance on it is prohibited.  The reliability of  this
method of communication cannot be guaranteed.  Email can be intercepted,
corrupted, delayed, incompletely transmitted, virus-laden,  or otherwise
affected during transmission. Reasonable steps have been taken to reduce
the risk of viruses, but we cannot accept liability for damage sustained
as a result of this message. If you have received this message in error,
please immediately delete it and all copies of it and notify the sender.