[OS X TeX] Keeping this list healthy

Simon Spiegel simon at simifilm.ch
Sat Dec 2 06:13:16 EST 2006

On 02.12.2006, at 10:47, Victor Ivrii wrote:

> On 12/2/06, Simon Spiegel <simon at simifilm.ch> wrote:
>

> And why people don't know better? Because in any new Mac there is a
> trialware Office but I do not remember any other trialware except of
> Apple's own. Because time to time ugly dinosaurs (M$O commercials)
> occupy every newspaper and every wall in subway cars...
>
> Finally, these people copuld be very pleased with Mellel, but what
> happens when they need to exchange files with someone else, and pdf by
> some reasons would not be possible?

They can use rtf export which works reasonably well. I need Word only
for one thing and this is exchaning files with track changes,

> M$ moving to open standards? Like it did  with html and javascript and
> java and then invented its own versions of them?

I'm really the last to defend MS, but one has to remain at least
somehwhat fair. The new docx is no standard (not yet) in the sense
that it was designed by some official body or committee and MS
doesn't claim otherwise (I think they try to establish it as an ECMA
standard) but it is XML-based, documented and can and should be used
by third party developers. Coming from .doc wich was completely
closed and a complete mess, this is a huge step.

simon
--
Simon Spiegel
Steinhaldenstr. 50

Telephon: ++41 44 451 5334
Mobophon: ++41 76 459 60 39

http://www.simifilm.ch

"I'm not that easy to impress. – O, a blue car." Homer Simpson