[OS X TeX] epstopdf automatic updates to pdf

Herbert Schulz herbs at wideopenwest.com
Sun Dec 3 07:46:22 EST 2006

On Dec 3, 2006, at 6:28 AM, André Bellaïche wrote:

> Le 2 déc. 06 à 00:45, Herbert Schulz a écrit :
>

>> On Dec 1, 2006, at 1:14 PM, David Goldenberg wrote:
>>
>>> Hi,
>>>    I am currently using TexShop with Gerben Wierda's teTex
>>> distribution on two computers, an ibook and a G5 PowerMac, both
>>> running OS X 10.4. The installation on the ibook does something
>>> that I find very convenient, but I can't figure out how to do it
>>> on the other installation.
>>>
>>> I regularly use pdfLaTeX and epstopdf. On the ibook, whenever an
>>> eps file is updated (usually by Adobe Illustrator) and the LaTeX
>>> file is run through pdfLaTeX, the pdf file is automatically
>>> updated as well.  On the other installation, however, the old pdf
>>> must be manually removed in order to create a new version.
>>>
>>> I suspect that there must an option that needs to be set
>>> somewhere or a file that needs to be updated in order to get the
>>> automatic updating to work.  But, I haven't been able to figure
>>> it out.
>>>
>>> Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.
>>>
>>> David Goldenberg
>>
>> Howdy,
>>
>> I don't know if this solves it or not but... if you include
>> the .eps extension in the \includegraphics{fname.eps} I believe
>> the .eps file will be reprocessed into pdf every time you run it.
>> If you leave the extension off, \includegraphics{fname}, graphicx
>> will look for the pdf, not find it and then process the eps; after
>> the first processing the pdf will be there so it will go no further.
>>
>> Good Luck,
>>
>> Herb Schulz
>>

> This means that
>
> - if you do not include the extension, and if you have made some
> change to fname.eps, you whall have to throw to the basket,
> manually, fname.pdf
>
> - if you include the extension, the .eps file will be reprocessed
> into pdf at every run.
>
> A better behaviour would be to test if some .eps file has already
> processed into pdf or not, since it last revision. This requires
> maintaining some table in a separate file, but it would be very
> useful by saving much time of waiting in front of the screen.
>
> André Bellaïche

Howdy,

I agree that it would be desirable behavior; and you say that is the
behavior on your iBook! I'd find out what versions of the graphicx
and epstopdf (which really only sets a processing step for .eps files
for graphic(s/x)) packages you are using on those systems. TeXShop is
only playing a passive role in this processing.

By the way, if you simply drop the changed .eps file onto TeXShop it
will automatically process it into a pdf. Then using the
extensionless \includegraphics{} calls won't process the .eps files
again and it will be up to date.

(herbs at wideopenwest.com)