[OS X TeX] Very (Mac)-specific mpm problem

Peter Dyballa Peter_Dyballa at Web.DE
Sun Dec 3 08:29:43 EST 2006

Am 03.12.2006 um 02:15 schrieb Alan Munn:

> libmpm: going to download: ftp://indian.cse.msu.edu/pub/mirrors/
> CTAN/systems/win32/miktex/tm/packages/miktex-zzdb1-2.5.tar.bz2 => /
> private/var/tmp/mik43930/miktex-zzdb1-2.5.tar.bz2
> core: The MiKTeX function CurlWebFile::ReadInformationals fails for
> the following reason:
> The cURL easy interface returned error code 8
> Info:
> Source: CurlWebFile.cpp
> Line: 368
> core: leaving scratch directory "/var/tmp/mik43930"
> mpm: The cURL easy interface returned error code 8

This error obviously indicates that your version of mpm is using its
own internal libcurl software to fetch things from the Internet
(Source and Line particularly). To proof:

	otool -L `which mpm` | sort

And also obviously this internal "cURL easy" library is faulty. You
should report this!

There is a cure, that others, including me, already have working: we
have installed the BSD and BSDSDK packages from Mac OS X. It's not
sufficient to have libcurl in /usr/lib (from BaseSystem package),
there is also the C header file curl/curl.h needed (plus its
colleagues), contained in the BSDSDK package. If you install BSDSDK
and then re-configure and re-make and re-install mpm it should work
better ... Except: in one Tiger update for PPC based Macs libcurl was
renewed! It might have been for security reasons, I can't tell that
now because I had to re-install Tiger recently and went straight to
10.4.8 with an UpdCombo.

If you have all receipts lying around you could check with a little
loop:

in tcsh:

	foreach BILL ( /Library/Receipts/* )
	    echo "$BILL"
	    lsbom "${BILL}/Contents/Archive.bom" | grep lib/libcurl
	end

or in bash:

	for BILL in /Library/Receipts/*
	do
	    echo "$BILL"
	    lsbom "${BILL}/Contents/Archive.bom" | grep lib/libcurl
	done

These little scripts will name the package above the found lines with
the string "lib/libcurl" in them. The renewal of the installed Tiger
software should be:

	1. BSDSDK
	2. the security or Tiger update
	3. all updates that came afterwards (later MacOSX updates contain
earlier Security updates, so can leave out the Security updates)

or

	1. BSDSDK
	2. Tiger 10.4.8 (or your latest) UpdCombo

to have all particles of Tiger again up-to-date.

I have backups! The updates to libcurl happened with:

	SecUpd2005-009Ti.pkg
	SecUpd2006-003Ti.pkg
	MacOSXUpdate10.4.4.pkg

--
Greetings

   Pete

Some day we may discover how to make magnets that can point in any
direction.