[OS X TeX] .pdf or .dvi?

David Goldschmidt dmgoldschmidt at gmail.com
Sun Dec 3 11:26:45 EST 2006

On 12/3/06, Maarten Sneep <maarten.sneep at xs4all.nl> wrote:

> latex calls pdfetex with the instruction to use the latex format, and
> produce dvi.

Yes, but this is my point:  I run "latex file1.tex" and get pdf output,
then I run "latex file2.tex" and get dvi output.  How is this happening?

> There are command-line flags that set the output format explicitly,
> an some (broken)
> packages may alter the output format for you.

I'm wondering if my installation is somehow broken.  The command
itself is just a symlink to pdfetex.  The commands "man latex" and
"man pdfetex" both return "no manual entry ..."
What are the command-line flags?