[OS X TeX] Greek Fonts in XeTeX

Jonathan Kew jonathan_kew at sil.org
Mon Dec 4 04:58:57 EST 2006

On 4 Dec 2006, at 9:41 am, Peter Dyballa wrote:

> Am 03.12.2006 um 15:08 schrieb Themis Matsoukas:
>
>> I am trying to use Greek fonts in xetex but was met with partial
>> success:
>
> Could you check with Character Palette which of your fonts has the
> characters you are missing? If you use this font in XeTeX: does its
> output improve?

In particular, Symbol is *not* a Greek font. It includes basic Greek
letters, for use as math symbols, but no accented letters, for
example. If you set the TeX parameters \tracinglostchars=1 (and
perhaps \tracingonline=1) in your document, you'll see warnings about
the missing characters.

You'll have better success with something like Lucida Grande
(included with OS X), Galatia SIL or Gentium (from http://
scripts.sil.org/), or the Greek Font Society fonts. I'm sure there
are many others, too.

JK