[OS X TeX] Critical reviews of scientific/mathematical presentation software

Victor Ivrii vivrii at gmail.com
Mon Dec 4 16:21:49 EST 2006

On 12/4/06, David Oliver <daoliver at swva.net> wrote:

> I would be interested in a critical review/discussion of scientific
> presentation software at this point in time (or be directed to such
> reviews). I would like to hear from those who do scientific and
> mathematical presentations frequently and for whom the quality of
> slides/video/... is high.
>
> As I understand it, the present possibilities are beamer, powerdot,
> and Keynote+LaTeXIT. There, of course, may be others.

You did not mention Powerpoint + (LaTeXIT). I would not use it unless
sentenced by a jury. And even in this case I would appeal as a cruel
and unusual punishment

There is X11 based Magick Point; never tried to compile it on Mac
http://member.wide.ad.jp/wg/mgp/

One needs to remember that presentation (we mean with data-projector,
don't we?) requires more robust fonts than usual articles. Good LaTeX
packages take care of this, but when you use LaTeXIt  as the graphics
supplier for an external program, say, Keynote, you need to configure
LaTeXit properly

Out of all LaTeX based packages beamer is vastly superior (to anything
else) and far the most  popular. There are plenty themes for beamer
and but majority of people use default theme.

There is one reason, however, to use powerdot: using htlatex (in its
newest version
http://cse.ohio-state.edu/~gurari/TeX4ht/bugfixes.html
one can get html slides presentations (with Slidy from w3)
(Example: http://www.math.toronto.edu/Experimental;
first I converted mostly manually beamer source to powerdot one and
then run htlatex; however this example is almost exclusively for fun)