[OS X TeX] I'm done with TeXShop as my main editor

Matthieu Masquelet matthieu.masquelet at gmail.com
Thu Dec 7 04:47:30 EST 2006

Yes I found the atchange mentioned in 2001 on this mailing-list, just
look for it in the archives.

I didn't really bother going through the threads, I went straight to
the atchange homepage:
http://www.lecb.ncifcrf.gov/~toms/atchange.html

I downloaded the script, put it in /usr/bin, changed the permissions
to allow execution and was all set to use it. Don't worry, I'm not a
command-line guru either !
I just open two tabs with iTerm, my .tex file in one and in the other,
I just type something like (obviously you can make another script
here...):
atchange file.tex "TeXShop.engine file; open file.pdf"

with TeXShop.engine being one of the engines found in
~/Library/TeXShop/Engines/ for example.

I am using preview.app for the pdf, haven't had the chance to try it
with adobe reader 8 (which looks much faster than the crawling reader
7.X). Only downside so far, the focus switch to preview once the pdf
opens, so I might want not to save as often as I used to but I think I
was a little frenetic on the saving before so it's OK :)

I think I haven't forgotten anything...

Hope this can help.

Regards,

--