[OS X TeX] I'm done with TeXShop as my main editor

Robert Bruner rrb at math.wayne.edu
Thu Dec 7 19:14:49 EST 2006

Ha!  and I just cancelled the email I was about to write, saying
"I see you got the joke".   (Regarding:

> > Anyway, vi is nice and efficient.  For example, to comment out a
> > paragraph in a TeX file I type
> >
> >   ma}'a,.s/^/%% /
> >
> > and it is done.

[Warning:  off-topic old fart reminiscence, amazed at what we could
accomplish with such primitive tools]

Still, once you know the language it {\em is} very efficient.  You eave
to ealize this was invented when (before?) 300 baud modems were
great.  In those days, one didn't scroll the screen unecessarily
because of how long it took to repaint 24 lines of text(yes, this is
true!).  Vi was great here:  as the screen was painted, I saw typos,
typed the command which made the cursor move to the relevant spot, then
typed the command which made the fix, repeating the operation for each
typo I saw, while the screen refresh finished.  Then, when it hit the
bottom of the screen, magically, the errors were fixed 'poof', 'poof'
'poof', like little fireworks.  Quite fun, if you were moving forward
into this technology:  not so great if you should have to return to it
from what we now have.

Bob Bruner