[OS X TeX] Unix, sudo and mpm

Alex Hamann Alexander.Hamann at stud-mail.uni-wuerzburg.de
Wed Dec 13 06:06:58 EST 2006

All the mail regarding mpm some time ago made me curious and I
installed mpm according to the instructions provided on the website
(http://dojo.miktex.org/blogs/christian_schenk/articles/mpmunix.aspx).
Here's my question:
in order to execute updates I have to switch to my admin account
(need sudo and my normal user account is not on the sudoers list). If
I install or update a given package by typing e.g.  sudo mpm --
install=hyperref, I presume this will install the package in
texmf.local and thus it is NOT going to make this package available
to one account only (the one which runs sudo while my normal non-sudo-
capable account would be left out), right?
However, I got a bit confused by this paragraph on the website
mentioned above:
(start quote)

Setting the installation directory

The installation directory is the root of a TDS-compliant TEXMF
directectory hierarchy. The location of the installation directory is
determined by the configure script.

The --install-root option lets you set the installation directory at
run-time. For example, the following command installs the package
database files in your home TEXMF:

 > sudo mpm --install-root=~/texmf --update-db

(end quote)

Here the texmf in my home directory is mentioned. Does this mean,
that when I run this command all packages will from then on be
installed in the texmf folder of my home directory (= the home
directory of the sudoer)? This I clearly would like to avoid since
the sudoer is not my normal user account from where I run my tex.

TIA for enlightening me,

Alex

please avoid sending me word attachements; see
http://www.gnu.org/philosophy/no-word-attachments.html for details
and background