[OS X TeX] URLs in bibliographic entries

Adam R. Maxwell amaxwell at mac.com
Fri Dec 15 12:31:13 EST 2006

On Dec 15, 2006, at 09:11, Nathan Paxton wrote:

> 	Hi all,
>
> 	Another question of basic difficulty.  I've done some googling,
> but it's not quite clear what I need to do.
>
> 	I have a number of biblio entries in BibDesk that have URLs to WWW
> versions of the papers I cite.  I'm using the natbib package, with
> a chicago.bst reference style.  How can I get the reference list to
> print out the URLs of the papers (which it won't do right now)?
> I've seen some stuff on the url.sty package, but I can't figure out
> how to get that to work within my document.

You'll have to modify a copy of the .bst file (rename it first).

* In the beginning of the file, there should be an ENTRY list with
all the fields.  Add url to this.
* Add a new function:

FUNCTION {format.url}
{ url empty$
     { "" }
     { new.block "URL \url{" url * "}" * }
   if$
}

this should go with other functions (e.g. format.title).

* For each type that can have a url field, add the following line

   format.url output

at the appropriate location.

This may require some experimentation, but should be enough to get
you started.  You'll also want to use either hyperref.sty or url.sty
to give you a proper \url command.

hth,
Adam