[OS X TeX] preferred tool for presentations

Bruno Voisin bvoisin at mac.com
Tue Dec 19 15:27:37 EST 2006

Le 19 déc. 06 à 19:51, Christopher Menzel a écrit :

> On Tue 19 Dec, at Tue 19 Dec 1:47 , Oliver Buerschaper wrote:
>
>>> I'm surprised no one has recommended this yet.  Keynote is cheap,
>>> exceedingly easy to use, and makes terrific presentations.  Using
>>> TeXShop you can select  an equation from a PDF file and drag it
>>> directly into your presentation (great for preparing a presentation
>>> quickly from an existing paper) or use the excellent little app
>>> LaTeXiT to render LaTeX math code into a little PDF graphic that you
>>> can likewise drag into your presentation:
>>
>> Actually I wouldn't recommend this combination at all if you need
>> to typeset anything but simple formulas!
>
> I completely concur.  For all the reasons you mention, a
> presentation that is heavy with complicated math is very
> frustrating to compose with Keynote/LaTeXit; the *TeX presentation
> options are much more appropriate.  I should have noted that I had
> presentations in mind that are heavy on text and light on the math
> -- one or, occasionally, two relatively simple equations per page,
> say.

I don't know what you exactly mean by light or heavy on maths. Here
is a talk I presented last week, prepared with the combination
Keynote + LaTeXiT:

<http://homepage.mac.com/bvoisin/.cv/bvoisin/Sites/.Public/
Présentation%20ISSF%206.pdf-zip.zip>

There are from one to three equations per slide, plus text and
images, and the equations aren't especially simple.

It was very straightforward to prepare with the Keynote/LaTeXiT
combination, pasting equations from presentations I'd made earlier,
changing the notations, content, formatting, etc., adding new
equations, editing all these equations in LaTeXiT.

Bruno Voisin