[OS X TeX] Using apa.cls and trying to fit table to page

Denis Chabot chabotd at globetrotter.net
Tue Dec 19 23:03:12 EST 2006

Hi,

> Subject: Re: [OS X TeX] Using apa.cls and trying to fit table to page
> From: "Axel E. Retif" <axel.retif at mac.com>
> Date: Tue, 19 Dec 2006 14:19:28 -0600

> sidewaystable is not a package but an environment of the rotating
> package (sidewaysfigure for figures and sidewaystable for tables).
>

>> is very good, especially if you use a minipage environment or some
>> such to hold your tabular data, and put both inside your table
>> environment. That way you can get your table numbering to work
>> properly. However I don't think rotating works over multiple pages
>> and therefore wouldn't work with longtable, nor would sideways
>> table I think, but I may be wrong on both counts.
>>

> I don't think so either, but I really don't know. I don't remember a
> sideways long table in the examples.
>
> Best,
>
> Axel

keep in mind that I am relatively new and much of LaTeX still
surprises me, but recently I had to do a sideways table over 6 or 7
pages. Until then I only produced figures or single-page tables
"sideways" and I used the rotating package for these tasks.

As this was my first use of longtable, I used an example given to me
by a more experienced colleague. I went like this:

\begin{landscape}   % package  pdflscape

\scriptsize

\begin{longtable}{>{\raggedright}p{2.8cm} >{\raggedright}p{2.8cm} c
            >{\raggedright}p{3.7cm} c >{\raggedright}p{2.8cm} c
            >{\raggedright}p{2cm} c >{\raggedright}p{2.1cm} cc}

%...
%my table
%...

\end{longtable}
\end{landscape}

It worked very well, although my table was so wide I had to use
scriptsize to fit it on one page even in landscape orientation.

Both rotating and pdflscape do a great job of putting the table or
figure "sideways" and keep the page number where it belongs,
something MSWord has never managed to do after 20 years of
development, but the landscape environment above has one particularly
nice touch: when you view your pdf and hit one of these landscape
pages, you don't have to break your next to inspect it: it is rotated
so that the text is horizontal.

I thought I'd simply switch to this for my sideways figures instead
of using sidewaysfigure, but gave up because the size of the figure
was not as expected. I don't remember what was wrong (did not have
much time to play with this) but I think both techniques have a
different concept of page width for rotated pages.

Anyhow, I hope this will help. If someone more experienced wants to
comment on the pros and cons of rotating vs pdflscape, I'd love to
learn more.

Cheers,

Denis