[OS X TeX] [Yale] i-installer directories

Michael Williams williams at astro.ox.ac.uk
Wed Dec 20 10:15:34 EST 2006

[Alain: although I've chosen to reply to your email, the below should
not be construed as singling you out in particular!]

On Tue, Dec 19, 2006 at 11:37:02PM -0500, Alain Schremmer wrote:
> b) If you just discovered that Wierda is not going to maintain his
> distribution, then I wonder on what basis you can talk about "flame
> fests and snarky insults".

This is a high traffic list, with a low signal-to-noise ratio. It's
quite possible to overlook things like this.

> c) In any case, to label that way anything that I have read is, again,
> surely a bit of an exageration.

I disagree. This list has become highly dysfunctional and extremely
unpleasant reading. I remain a subscriber in the hope of hearing news
about the future of TeX on OS X, and because I find the occasional
thread about, y'know, TeX on OS X interesting.

Weeding through flamewars and carelessly written, incoherent screeds
about, e.g., Claus's switcher, vi, and Microsoft Windows (seriously,
what?!) to get to this useful information is not something I look
forward to. I must admit to being disappointed by the lack of restraint
and leadership shown by some of the most experienced members of the
list.

I dread to think how all this looks to people considering buying a Mac
to run TeX. May cooler heads prevail.

--
Mike Williams
Theoretical Physics, University of Oxford