[OS X TeX] (OT) converting old ps to pdf

Victor Ivrii vivrii at gmail.com
Thu Dec 21 08:48:33 EST 2006

On 12/21/06, Bruno Voisin <bvoisin at mac.com> wrote:
> Le 21 déc. 06 à 12:50, Victor Ivrii a écrit :
>
> > I made an experiment few years ago when our main sever had  an  "old"
> > dvips (dated 1998). If in the chain
> >
> > tex -> dvi -> ps -> pdf
> >
> > "old" dvips was used then the completely messed up text layer
> > appeared. No matter if I used up-to-date tex or ps2pdf on my Mac.
> >
> > However if I used dvips on my Mac, then even if I used outdated latex
> > or ps2pdf on the server, the result was perfect.
>
> I think this was simply a configuration problem, not a version problem.

Anyway: the problem appeared due to dvips (not because the binary was
broken, but because it was wrongly configured, ... , this is a purely
academic discussion now; at least I have not seen bad ps files
produced lately).

However  another issue is relevant: ps2pdf converts these files much
better than Preview. Are there still better utilities?