[OS X TeX] (OT) converting old ps to pdf

Victor Ivrii vivrii at gmail.com
Thu Dec 21 09:35:30 EST 2006

On 12/21/06, Bruno Voisin <> wrote:
> Le 21 déc. 06 à 14:48, Victor Ivrii a écrit :
>
> > this is a purely
> > academic discussion now; at least I have not seen bad ps files
> > produced lately).
>
> That's because back then in 1998, communication was essentially based
> on printouts.

i> Now, in the 21st century, communication is more and more based on
> reading electronic documents on a desktop or laptop, and for this PS
> fonts produce optimum quality and maximum flexibility.

While it is true the most of mathematical papers  are prepared without
any thought about screen reading. The majority of my esteemed
colleagues do not even bother to put

\usepackage[bookmarks]{hyperref}

into preamble (eave alone to put some other options).

They never listen [TM]

> Adobe Acrobat Professional?
>
> Better I don't know, but it provides a number of settings you may
> want to play with, when producing a PDF file: whether included JPEG
> files must be compressed, which resolution the output should be
> optimized for, and so forth.

> As for myself, I'm perfectly happy most of the time with Preview,

I am happy most of the time with Preview, but not with ancient ps