[OS X TeX] (OT) converting old ps to pdf

Roberto Avanzi roberto.avanzi at gmail.com
Fri Dec 22 05:01:05 EST 2006

On 21 Dec 2006, at 12:20, Bruno Voisin wrote:

> What is needed is a utility to recreate the PDF files, embedding
> vectorial instead of bitmap fonts. There might be a utility to do
> that from the PS files, processing these files to extract any
> reference to bitmap fonts and replace these by vectorial fonts
> whenever available.

For postscript files there is pkfix, which works nicely
as long as there is enough font info embedded in the file.
Older versions of dvips did not generate this information,
and sadly the world is plagued with such old files. I also
have a few colleagues that still use stone age versions of
dvips and still create unsalvageable files.

  Roberto