Re: [OS X TeX] TeXShop replaces german ä, ö, ü

Herbert Schulz herbs at wideopenwest.com
Sat Dec 23 13:19:10 EST 2006

On Dec 23, 2006, at 12:10 PM, Christian Burk wrote:

> I also found the autocompletion.plist and had a lock at it. For
> what reason does these replacements (ä, ü, ö) exist in this file?
>

> Thanks
> Christian

Howdy,

Traditionally TeX assumed ascii encoding so accented characters
needed to be represented by macros (with arguments in some cases).
With the introduction of input encoding this isn't necessary (if you
tell TeX what the encoding is) but it is still a fairly standard
practice.

Did you remove the auto-completions you didn't need?

(herbs at wideopenwest.com)