[OS X TeX] captions without the numbering

Jeffrey J Weimer weimerj at email.uah.edu
Thu Dec 28 14:59:57 EST 2006

On Dec 24, 2006, at 10:42 AM, Denis Chabot wrote:

> ... Is there any way to remove this? Oups, wrong question, I'm sure
> the answer is yes. What is the easiest way to remove them? I'm just
> using article class because figures do not appear to work in the
> letter and KOMA-letter templates available in TeXShop.

A bit belated but ... here is a command to put a figure with a
caption text (avoiding the modification of TeX primitives). Modify
the \parbox[t]... portion to change how the text is displayed.

\usepackage{graphicx}

%% *****
%% \putfigwc[widthfactor]{filename}{captiontext}
%% [widthfactor] - optional width factor for figure as size of textwidth
%%		default 1 - full width of text
%% {filename} - filename for figure
%% {captiontext} - figure caption text

\newcommand{\putfigwc}[3][1]{%
	\includegraphics[width=#1\textwidth]{#2} \\
	\parbox[t]{#1\textwidth}{#3}%
	}