[OS X TeX] lucida fonts problems

Thomas Weiss tfweiss at MIT.EDU
Fri Dec 29 06:36:11 EST 2006

Hi,

	I am a Textures/LaTeX/Illustrator user who routinely wrote
scientific papers using these tools prior to 2000, when I retired
from my job.  In 1998 I had generated a manuscript of a paper using
these tools and the lucida font package from Y&Y.   I recently looked
to resurrect the manuscript and discovered the saga of Textures.
Given the shaky state of Textures, I downloaded TeXShop/TeTeX et al.
After a  bit of messing about, helped by reading this archive, I
found that if I disabled the call to lucida fonts, the old manuscript
typeset nicely using Computer Modern fonts.  Everything, well almost
everything, worked.  My compliments to the authors.  The package is
easy to use.  There are two remaining problems.

(1) I would like to typeset my document using the lucida fonts.
Reading this archive and others on this issue has left me somewhat
confused.  I am aware of a detailed description by Bruno Voisin of
August 6, 2005 on how to massage the old Y&Y fonts, which is based on
a message by Gary Gray of March 26, 2002. But there are more recent
messages that differ in some respects from these instructions.
Before, I go further in trying to sort all this out, I was wondering
if anyone could point me to a clear and recent set of directions on
how to proceed?  Or, should I simply try the route proposed in the
August 6, 2005 posting?

(2) The figures in the original paper were done with Illustrator 6
with inclusion of mathematical expressions generated by Textures
using lucida fonts.  The figures included in the text were eps
files.  By including a statement to convert eps to pdf in the command
file for the manuscript and typesetting with TeXShop/TeTeX, the figures
appeared and all the mathematical expressions were garbled.  This is
not surprising since opening the figures in Illustrator 6 or CS2
under Mac OS 10.4 garbles the expressions as well.  So does anyone
have any advice on how to fix the figures.  I suppose I could just
redo the expressions in the figures using LaTexIt, but is there a
less labor intensive way?  By making appropriate changes in the
lucida fonts, will Illustrator be able to read the expressions in the
old figures?

Many thanks for your help,

Tom

Thomas Weiss