[OS X TeX] i-Installer and local maps and hyphenation patterns

Gerben Wierda Gerben.Wierda at rna.nl
Sat Dec 30 18:36:48 EST 2006

On Dec 30, 2006, at 19:20 , nicola wrote:

> Hi all,
> I would like to point out the following problems with i-Installer. I
> need hyphenation patterns for languages not included in the standard
> distribution. I have put all the necessary files in my ~/Library/texmf
> subfolders and I have changed language.dat and language.def
> accordingly.
> Upon configuration, i-Installer does show my local hyphenation
> patterns
> in the list of languages, but they are not subsequently activated even
> if I check their checkboxes.
>
> Something similar happens with any font that I have installed locally
> (i.e., in ~/Library/texmf): i-Installer shows the corresponding map
> file
> but it does not activate it even if I select it.
>
> These two problems are a bit bothering, because I need to rebuild the
> format files from the command line and to run updmap-sys for every
> local
> font every time I update gwTeX (and updates have been not so rare on
> these days...).

The gwTeX i-Package only supports system-wide installs.

It runs as real user root when installing and configuring, so stuff
in ~root/Library/texmf gets picked up. This is not a sound strategy,
though.

Best strategy is to edit /usr/local/gwTeX/texmf.cnf and add another
system wide tree you maintain, e.g. /Users/Shared/texmf and put stuff
there.

> En passant, when I choose to build xetex and xelatex formats in
> i-Installer (not selected by default), they are correctly built, but
> then in fmtutil.cnf the corresponding lines are commented out.
>
> Is there a way to fix these?

I still need to fix that one.