[OS X TeX] OT: Learning Cocoa

Adam R. Maxwell amaxwell at mac.com
Mon Feb 6 21:03:56 EST 2006

On Feb 6, 2006, at 16:18, Robert Love wrote:

> On Feb 6, 2006, at 10:54 AM, Chris Goedde wrote:
>
>> Pardon the off-topic question, but I've been thinking of learning
>> some Cocoa programming, and I know there are a number of
>> accomplished programmers here. Can someone recommend some good
>> Cocoa programming references? Either books or web-based resources
>

> Many people like
>
> Cocoa Programming for OSX
> Aaron Hillegas

Hillegass' book is about the best intro I've seen, and you can get a
discount through the TUG store; I also used Garfinkel and Mahoney,
but that's a bit dated now.  Depending on what you want to do, you
could always get involved in BibDesk and start hassling the other
developers with questions on the mailing list (which was my strategy ;).

A couple of the more useful web resources are http://
www.cocoabuilder.com/ and http://www.cocoadev.com/.  If you already
know C, Objective-C is trivially easy to learn, and the Cocoa
frameworks make programming (mostly) fun.

-- Adam