[OS X TeX] TeXShop 2.09a

Nicola Cabibbo nicola.cabibbo at roma1.infn.it
Wed Feb 8 10:04:11 EST 2006

Hi all,

On Feb 7, 2006, Ross Moore wrote:

> On 07/02/2006, at 12:28 PM, Herbert Schulz wrote:
>> On Feb 6, 2006, at 7:06 PM, Claus Gerhardt wrote:
>>
>>> If you place in BBEdit the cursor before the starting $ sign, then
>>> the search command (using grep)
>>> \$((.|\r)+?[^\\$])\$
>>> will find (and highlight) anything between the starting $ sign and
>>> the next forward positioned $ sign (including the $ signs), and
>>> not get irritated by an escaped \$.
>
>> As long as you assume that the first $ to the right is the START of
>> the equation it becomes simpler; you just search to the right. What
>> happens if you try to simply get a match and can't ASSUME it's a
>> start of an equation?
>
> Also, beware to avoid matching a $ on the wrong side of a comment % .
> I've seen syntax-coloring editors get this wrong.
> Beware that the starting and ending $s don't need to be on the same
> physical line, so keeping track of arbitrary junk in-between can be
> really hard.
>
> For this, and a bit more, the Perl subroutine  sub
> wrap_math_environment
> in LaTeX2HTML is 120 lines long (including comments).
> And this is *after* %-commented portions have already been removed
> from
> the processing stream.

Isn't the solution that of giving up the idea of "matching $"? The
main use I
see of the double-clicking device is when there is an error in the
Latex code,
so that even the less ambitious idea of finding the "following $"
would be
useful.

More suggestions for the preview window:
1) a key command for "go to page" --- there is already a "go to line"
     command in the text windows, and the same widget could be used,
     so that it could be easily implemented. (This has been mentioned
before)
2) control +  and control - for changing the magnification. This is
     a standard shortcut in Adobe reader and in Photoshop.
     Is anybody attached to the "rotate clockwise" or
     "rotate anticlockwise" shortcuts? (or even using them?)
3) shortcuts for "next-page" and "previous page". At present left-
right arrows
     work, but only when the focus is on the window pane, and not on
one of the
     text fields in the toolbar. If the shortcuts in (1) or (2) were
implemented
     one could avoid moving the focus point to the text fields, and
(3) would be
     less urgent.
4) the third text field on the toolbar should not be there, as it is not
     editable. (Just an aesthetic remark.)

Thanks,

	Nicola Cabibbo