[OS X TeX] paths in input & include

Jonathan Kew jonathan_kew at sil.org
Sat Feb 11 11:59:53 EST 2006

On 11 Feb 2006, at 4:09 pm, Alain Schremmer wrote:

> Messrs Costabel, Dyballa, Snoke,
>
> I am truly:
>
> 1) grateful to you for taking my problem—and it is a real one—
> seriously.
> 2) sorry that I have no idea what you were talking about,
> 3) hopeful that you will tell me exactly what I have to do without
> even trying to explain what it is all about. For once, I want to be
> a completely passive idiot and finish reorganizing my files so that
> I can get back to producing even more files.

OK, let me have a go.

To be able to use your desired arrangement:

>> Superfolder
>>    FolderA
>>       File1
>>    FolderB
>>       File2
>>
>> In File1, I want to include File2.

you need to edit the file /Library/teTeX/texmf.cnf. (In case anyone
is confused, this is the same file as /usr/local/teTeX/texmf.cnf, but
the /Library/teTeX path is more readily accessible in the Finder.)

At the end of that file, add one line:

openout_any = r

To do this, you'll need to authenticate with an administrator's name/
password, as the file is normally owned by "root" and other users
don't have write permission. If you use TextWrangler, for example,
the file will initially be opened read-only, and when you begin to
edit you'll be asked whether you really want to; and then when you
save, you'll have to give a password. Other editors may handle it
differently.

If you're not sure how to edit a root-owned file with the editor(s)
you happen to have, another option is to change the owner of the file
using the Finder: select its icon, choose File / Get Info, and go to
the Ownership & Permissions section at the bottom. Click the little
padlock to unlock the settings (password required), and change the
owner to your own user name. Then you're free to edit the file.

Once you've added this line, you should no longer get the error you
quoted:
>    ! I can't write on file `../FolderB/File2.aux'.

HTH,

JK