[OS X TeX] French letters do not print

Winfried Zettelmeyer Winfried at Zettelmeyer.com
Fri Feb 17 12:09:17 EST 2006

Hi all,
sorry for the beginner's question. I'm am missing something VERY BASIC.
I know that the source file is normally in ASCII and that french text
has to be converted such as in g\'{e}Žn\'{e}Žration, which is a
hassle for long text.
There must be another way for the thousands of French users to allow
straight french in the source file and to convert it into ASCII
automatically for typesetting, possibly with inputenc.sty which
exists in my '/usr/local/teTeX/share/texmf.tetex/tex/latex/base folder.
But I do not know how to use it to make the accented letters print
without going through the process above.

What do I have to add to the following file ?

\documentclass[10pt,a4paper,notitlepage,oneside,openany]{book}
\usepackage[english,frenchb]{babel}
\begin{document}
\selectlanguage{frenchb}
\chapter{Une génération après}
\end{document}

My attempts to download inputenc.dtx for more information from CTAN
are rejected ("You do not have permission to open this page")
How to get access ?

Thanks