[OS X TeX] French letters do not print

Winfried Zettelmeyer Winfried at Zettelmeyer.com
Tue Feb 21 06:20:10 EST 2006

Bruno, Jose Figueroa, Jean-Claude,
to close this thread properly, THANK YOU for your advice, it works
like a charm with the french text now (and I learned a lot)!!
Best regards
Winfried

On 17 Feb 2006, at 18:47, Bruno Voisin wrote:

Le 17 févr. 06 à 18:09, Winfried Zettelmeyer a écrit :

> What do I have to add to the following file ?
>
> \documentclass[10pt,a4paper,notitlepage,oneside,openany]{book}
\usepackage[applemac]{inputenc}
\usepackage[T1]{fontenc}
\usepackage{textcomp}
\usepackage{lmodern}
> \usepackage[english,frenchb]{babel}
> \begin{document}
> \selectlanguage{frenchb}
> \chapter{Une génération après}
> \end{document}

The [applemac] option to the inputenc package assumes you're using
the Mac OS Roman encoding in your text editor (for example TeXShop).
Other popular choices are ISO Latin 1, yielding the [latin1] option,
and Windows Latin 1, yielding the [ansinew] option.

The lmodern package (implying you are using the PostScript Latin
Modern fonts) is not strictly necessary, but will produce better
output. Without it, you are using either the bitmap EC (European
Computer Modern) fonts, which look bad on screen but nice on print,
or the PostScript CM-Super fonts which require an additional
installation (there is an i-Package for them, but they are huge).

With the Latin Modern fonts, an alternative to:

	\usepackage[T1]{fontenc}
	\usepackage{textcomp}

is

	\usepackage[LY1]{fontenc}

I personally favour the latter.

What this all does:

- inputenc: allows direct use of accented letters in the input file
(including, if your keyboard includes accented keys -- as does my
French keyboard --, direct use of these keys).

- fontenc and textcomp: allows use of 8-bit fonts, containing
accented characters natively; this is a requirement for proper
hyphenation (babel includes a workaround for this, but it is not
perfect).

In case you're looking for details: TeX can't hyphenate words
including control sequences, such as \'e for é. Hence, it can't
hyphenate words containing accents, with the default 7-bit Computer
Modern fonts. babel works around this limitation, by allowing each
part of a word containing a control sequence (namely, before and
after the control sequence) to be traeted and hyphenated separately.

Still, that will not catch all the proper hyphenation points. With an
8-bit font the letter é becomes a simple glyph é to TeX, not
requiring any control sequence; a word containing this é will be
recognized as a proper word, and hyphenation will become correct.

> My attempts to download inputenc.dtx for more information from CTAN
> are rejected ("You do not have permission to open this page")
> How to get access ?

No need for this, the doc is installed at /Library/teTeX/share/
texmf.tetex/doc/latex/base/inputenc.dvi.