[OS X TeX] Font in TeXShop

Bruno Voisin bvoisin at mac.com
Tue Feb 21 23:40:19 EST 2006

Le 22 févr. 06 à 00:19, Alain Schremmer a écrit :

> I hate to say it but I have no idea what font i-installed TeXShop
> comes with.

TeXShop in itself: none. The TeX i-Package: a number of fonts, as
will reveal the contents of /Library/teTeX/share/texmf.tetex/fonts/
and /Library/teTeX/share/texmf.gwtex/fonts/.

The default, which is the TeX standard, is the Computer Modern fonts.
But there are other possibilities:

- Clones, by URW, of the usual 35 LaserWriter fonts: Times,
Helvetica, Courier, Avant Garde, Palatino, New Century Schoolbook,
Zapf Chancery, Zapf Dingbats, Bookman, Symbol. See /Library/teTeX/
share/texmf.tetex/doc/fonts/urw/base35/README.base35. To use them,
you need the PSNFSS package (see below).

- Some other free fonts: Charter, and Utopia with the matching
Fourier math fonts. For Charter and Utopia, the PSNFSS package is
also the way; for Fourier, see /Library/teTeX/share/texmf.gwtex/doc/
latex/fourier/fourier-doc-en.pdf.

- Some Apple OS X fonts, through the gtamacfonts package:
Baskerville, Didot, Georgia, Hoefler Text, Futura, FuturaCondensed,
GillSans, HelveticaNeue, LucidaGrande, Optima, Verdana and
AmericanTypewriter. See /Library/teTeX/share/texmf.gwtex/doc/fonts/
gtamacfonts/gtamacfonts.pdf.

>  I don't have an eye for fonts and can't say from looking at it.

Samples of the above fonts, plus a very scholarly comparison of them,
may be found at <http://www.pragma-ade.nl/specials/fonts/fontspecial-
p.pdf>.

> I am finally getting to the issue that the Times New Roman font I
> am using in my Intaglio-pdf seems to be different from the font i-
> installed TeXShop comes with.
>
> Would there be a better, but still simple, match?

With the psnfss package /Library/teTeX/share/texmf.tetex/doc/latex/
psnfss/psnfss2e.pdf, you are able to use the Times fonts (slightly
different from Times New Roman, but that won't really matter for most
people). Try putting in your list of packages:

\usepackage[T1]{fontenc}
\usepackage{textcomp}
\usepackage{mathptmx}
\usepackage[scale=.92]{helvet}