[OS X TeX] Font in TeXShop

William Adams will.adams at frycomm.com
Wed Feb 22 14:45:26 EST 2006

On Feb 22, 2006, at 2:29 PM, Arthur Snoke wrote:

> Comments have been made in this thread that Times New Roman and
> Times are almost identical.  On the mac, I find one significant
> difference between them, and also for how Times New Roman is
> rendered in different applications.  This is relevant to the
> on the Mac with the same descriptors but different properties, so
> compatibility among font rendering can be problematic.
>
> In WORD, for size 11 (for example), Times takes up significantly
> less space than TNR -- that is more words on a page with Times.
> Also find things like word spacing different depending on the font
> -- and to some extent the size.
>
> If I have a WORD (Office X) document and want to preserve links
> when saving to PDF (I have Acrobat 7), it does not work in WORD,
> but it does work in OpenOffice 2.  But the same document with the
> same font and size takes up more space (fewer words per page) in
> Open Office than in WORD. Also, not all characters are rendered
> correctly in Open Office (version 2).  NeoOffice (which last I
> looked is based on OO v1.something) does not preserve links but has
> a much better html writer than WORD but again fonts are not
> rendered the same as in WORD -- although more characters come
> across okay.
>
> I would appreciate explanations to these observations.  Also, is
> "Times" more likely to be rendered the same among applications
> compared to "TNR"? Are some sizes (12 vs. 11, for example) more
> likely to work better when communicating between WORD and LaTex --
> and with users on different operating systems?  That is, are any
> among these more universal?

Times New Roman as bundled with Windows (TrueType) is based on the 12
pt. matrices for Times New Roman, the Times font created by Monotype
for _The Times_ in London.

Times as bundled with PostScript things and part of the Core 13
fonts, and a member of the ``LaserWriter Gang of 35'' is based on the
18 pt. matrices. It was created by Linotype when Monotype failed to
apply for a trademark on ``Times'' as used for a typeface name in the
US in a timely fashion.

It's the differing optical sizes which result in different line
breaks. Set text in TNR and heads in Times for a nice appearance.

Walter Tracy's delightful book, _Letters of Credit_ has a lot more on
this.

NeoOffice seems to've somehow gotten some tweaking done to it to
ensure that Mac-encoded characters come out correctly --- I think
this was in-between 1.0 and 1.1, but not 100% certain. I did see
quotes change from coming out wrong to right after an update while
using it to make some spreadsheets listing photos for a publishing job.

William

--
William Adams
senior graphic designer

This email message and any files transmitted with it contain information
which is confidential and intended only for the addressee(s). If you are
not the intended recipient(s), any usage,  dissemination, disclosure, or
action taken in  reliance on it is prohibited.  The reliability of  this
method of communication cannot be guaranteed.  Email can be intercepted,
corrupted, delayed, incompletely transmitted, virus-laden,  or otherwise
affected during transmission. Reasonable steps have been taken to reduce
the risk of viruses, but we cannot accept liability for damage sustained
as a result of this message. If you have received this message in error,
please immediately delete it and all copies of it and notify the sender.