[OS X TeX] Unwanted blank page

Themis Matsoukas matsoukas at psu.edu
Mon Jan 2 07:37:39 EST 2006

I've written the following code to typeset "examples" that are
numbered correctly whether in article or book styles. This must be
saved as a .sty file.

\@ifundefined{chapter}{%
\newtheorem{exmpl}{\bfseries Example} %  environment for "Example"
\newenvironment{example}[1]	%  for classes w/o chapter
    {\small\begin{exmpl}{\sffamily\itshape #1}\normalfont\hrulefill %
    \parskip 10pt \nopagebreak\parindent0pt\\}	%
    {\end{exmpl}\normalsize}
}{
\newtheorem{exmpl}{\bfseries Example}[chapter]	%  environment for
"Example"
\newenvironment{example}[1]	%  with numbering based on
    {\small\begin{exmpl}{\sffamily\itshape #1}\normalfont\hrulefill
%  chapter
    \parskip 10pt \nopagebreak\parindent0pt\\}	%
    {\end{exmpl}\normalsize}
}

Themis