[OS X TeX] Unwanted blank page

Alain Schremmer Schremmer.Alain at gmail.com
Wed Jan 4 17:51:17 EST 2006

Maarten Sneep wrote:

>> On the other hand, someone suggested I redefine \include by just
>> commenting out \clearpage on the third line (see below) and
>> everything seems to work: Chapters continue to start on odd pages
>> but included files start right away. Go figure.
>>
>> The author of the idea, though, wishes to remain anonymous because
>> "[s/he is sure that it violates all  sorts of good latex practice
>> and [s/he] can live without the resulting  grief."
>

> Don't do that, there are good reasons it is defined like that. Define
> a new command instead:
>
> \usepackage{ifthen}
> \newboolean{FinalVersionWithExcersises}
> % \setboolean{FinalVersionWithExcersises}{true} %% uncomment this
> line to actually include the excersises
> \newcommand{\includeexcersises}[1]{\ifthenelse{\boolean
> {FinalVersionWithExcersises}}{%
>     \input{#1}}{%
>     {Excersises from file \url{#1} will be included here}}

The fact that there was a missing } combined with my own ineptitude led
me to write to Sneep directly. He corrected the obvious mistake which,
of course, hadn't been obvious to me and he added comments so that even
I could see how to use it. Here it is and it works:

    \newboolean{FinalVersionWithExercises} % defaults to false
    % \setboolean{FinalVersionWithExercises}{true} %% uncomment this
    line to actually include the exercises

    \newcommand{\includeExercises}[1]{%
    \ifthenelse{\boolean{FinalVersionWithExercises}}% if true, do the
    first thing, otherwise the second.
    {%
        \input{#1}% true part
    }{%
        {\url{#1}}% else part
    }%
    }

So with many thanks both to the author of the "violating" code which, so
far has been working fine and without which I would have missed today's
press deadline for the first quarter of the book (and the exercises) and
to Sneep for the "orthodox" code that will be responsible for the other
three quarters of the book, the reason being that what goes in the
privacy of my computer probably shouldn't get uploaded which will be the
fate of the book in a couple of months.

So, again, very grateful regards to all who contributed to the
disappearance of the "blank page".
--schremmer