[OS X TeX] Multiple choice tests

Alain Schremmer Schremmer.Alain at gmail.com
Wed Jan 4 20:03:17 EST 2006

Ross Moore wrote:

>> On Tuesday, December 27, 2005, at 12:56 PM, Alain Schremmer wrote:
>>
>>> I would like to create a twenty-five questions multiple-choice exam
>>> with a bank of, say, 5 variations for each question.
>>>
>>> I googled the web for a couple of hours and didn't really see  anything
>>> that wouldn't require a major investment of time and energy because
>>> they do a lot more than what I have in mind
>>

> Did you come across  MacQTeX ?
>
>   http://rutherglen.ics.mq.edu.au/~macqtex/

I looked, I saw, and was immediately overwhelmed.

On the other hand, Sneep's \includeExercises would offer a rather simple
solution if only someone could solve a problem that there is no way I
could solve.

Here is the way I see it.

    (1) One hundred and twenty-five files, named Question-n-i, where n
    ranges from 1 to 25 and i ranges from 1 to 5. For each n, each of
    the five files Question-n-i, where i ranges from 1 to 5, contains a
    variation of the item being tested together with the choices a., b.,
    c., d., e..

    (2) One main file, Exam, with, in the preamble, Sneep's definition
    of \includeExercises (without the switch which, I think, would not
    be needed here.)  The document itself consists of a heading, say,
    EXAM Schremmer May 35, 2006 and the following twenty-five lines

        \includeExercises{Question-n-i}

    where n ranges from 1 to 25 and i ranges from 1 to 5

    with, at the bottom, another

Now here is the problem. How do I randomize on n and i?

Very hopeful regard,
--schremmer