[OS X TeX] tif-png problem?

Herbert Schulz herbs at wideopenwest.com
Tue Jan 10 19:02:31 EST 2006

Howdy,

I just was testing some old graphic conversions I put together. I've
got a small package that basically contains

\DeclareGraphicsRule{.tif}{png}{.png}{`convert #1 `dirname #1`/
`basename #1 .tif`.png}

so I can use .tif files using the graphicx package with pdflatex. If
my source file uses the graphicx and this small package I was always
able to have

\includegraphics{figs/dumber.tif}

and it all worked nicely. Now I'm getting a problem:

figs/dumber.png
libpng error: Not a PNG file

Overfull \hbox (24.40804pt too wide) in paragraph at lines 41--42
\T1/hlh/m/n/10 with some text af-ter it. Note the ro-tated text is
pro-duced by
[]\T1/hlst/m/n/10 \txt{\rotatebox{90}{text}}

Error: /usr/local/teTeX/bin/powerpc-apple-darwin-current/pdflatex
(file ./figs/
dumber.png): libpng: internal error
==> Fatal error occurred, the output PDF file is not finished!

any help solving this problem would be appreciated.

(herbs at wideopenwest.com)