[OS X TeX] speed of typesetting on a MacBook?

Bruno Voisin bvoisin at mac.com
Wed Jan 11 13:32:07 EST 2006

Le 11 janv. 06 à 19:11, William Adams a écrit :

> Apparently the 4-5 figure is based on multi-processing benchmarks
> which naturally run poorly on a single-processor machine.
>
> I suspect it'll be quite a bit better though, simply 'cause Mac OS X
> is well-suited to multi-processor machines.

Earlier this year <http://article.gmane.org/gmane.comp.tex.macosx/
11786>, speaking of dual-processor machines, Gerben told us:

"Also, having a dual does not help run TeX itself faster. TeX runs on
a single processor (single threaded)."

Does this mean the TeX universal binaries cannot take advantage of
the dual core architecture?

BTW, Gerben and Richard, in case you're listening, are you some of
these developers who hired a development MacTel computer and who are
now, apparently <http://www.macbidouille.com/news/2006-01-11/#12173>,
offered by Apple to exchange it for a brand new iMac? That would be
cool!