[OS X TeX] speed of typesetting on a MacBook?

Herbert Schulz herbs at wideopenwest.com
Wed Jan 11 23:43:06 EST 2006

On Jan 11, 2006, at 3:55 PM, Gary L. Gray wrote:

> I suspect he means that we are starting to head into non-TeX
> related discussion.
>
> Thank you all for your responses. Though I was hoping for a "magic
> bullet" response that would make my decision crystal clear, I got
> what I expected, which is a very interesting discussion, but no
> clear thumbs up or thumbs down answer.
>
> At this point, I am still deciding what to do, but I am leaning
> toward waiting until the machines start to ship so that I can get
> some real numbers.
>
> Thank you again.
>
> -- Gary

Howdy,

When I got my 1.67GHz PowerBook it was just about 3X faster (i.e.,
compiles take 1/3 the time) of my 550MHz PowerBook so I believe CPU
speed is dominant here. My previous increase of RAM and faster/larger
HD in the 550MHz made little difference so that was just
confirmation. Of course things aren't so easy to compare when you
cross CPU design and manufacturers.

(herbs at wideopenwest.com)