[OS X TeX] speed of typesetting on a MacBook?

Herbert Schulz herbs at wideopenwest.com
Thu Jan 12 10:31:03 EST 2006

On Jan 12, 2006, at 9:16 AM, William Adams wrote:

> I've got a better angle --- how's the port to non-Mac OS X platforms
> coming?
>
> Not that I'm pushing on that or anything since I'm now up-to-date w/
> Tiger here at work.
>
> William

Howdy,

Are you using TeXShop 2.0x? Have you tried the pdf<->source syncing?
It's really very neat; not perfect but it works with expanses of text
very well.

> (who is really, really pleased w/ his new dual 2.3GHz G5 here at his
> new job, despite having hung a ``crash log'' outside his cubicle to
> track crashes for each day, as well as a cumulative year-to-date
> count on a per-application basis (Quark, InDesign &c.))

I assume it isn't the OS that is crashing, only those applications. I
found 10.4.3 and now 10.4.4 quite stable. Earlier versions seemed to
have major problems with launchd, mdimport or other low level
processes which tended to lock up the system occasionally so other
applications couldn't run; I waited 60s for loginwindow to run to
shut off my system at times.

(herbs at wideopenwest.com)