[OS X TeX] Encoding

Axel E. Retif axretif at igo.com.mx
Sat Jan 14 22:10:49 EST 2006

On Jan 14, 2006, at 4:42 AM, Arno Kruse wrote:

> Concerning my xhtml stuff, I have succeedfully switched to utf8
> encoding; BBEdit has helped intensively.
>
> My first cautious attempts to do the same with my .tex stuff ended
> in disaster: files with delightful, but senseless glyphs. [...]

If by "senseless glyphs" you mean in your .tex input files, have you
tried BBEdit capability to reopen files with another encoding?

File --> Reopen Using Encoding

and try different encoding (Latin 1, Mac Roman, etc.) until all
glyphs are right, and then Save As... your file in UTF-8, no-BOM.

If this works, one last thing ---I don't know why, but recently, with
newly created files in BBEdit, I have had to open them in TeXShop, do
any small change (like deleting a space and putting it back) and save
the file before I can typeset it. After that, I can safely edit the
file in BBEdit.

Best

Axel