[OS X TeX] graphicspath

Piet van Oostrum piet at cs.uu.nl
Sun Jan 15 16:00:22 EST 2006

>AS> Until now, I had in my document lines such as
>AS>     \includegraphics[scale=0.75]{Figures/01-00-01.pdf

>AS> with

>AS>     \graphicspath{./{Figures/}}

The graphics path should be a list. The above list has 3 items:
(1) . (2) / (3) Figures/
Each item is prepended to the given filename and then tried as the file
path. The first 2 are nonsense as it is unlikely that you have a file
.Figures/01-00-01.pdf or /Figures/01-00-01.pdf lthough accidentally it
could exist.
The last one will fail also as you probably dont have
Figures/Figures/01-00-01.pdf
In that case the filename as give will be used.
So in fact your graphicspath was useless.

>AS> in the preamble and all worked well even though Companion 2ed p624 says it
>AS> ought to be

>AS>     \graphicspath{{./Figures/}}

>AS> which of course works too.

>AS> The number of figures, though, is starting to get big and the numbering to
>AS> be less and less systematic. So, I thought I would organize the figures
>AS> into folders. But, for the life of me, I can't figure out how to write the
>AS> path that will let LaTeX find a figure in a nested folder which is what I
>AS> really would like.

>AS> The following doesn't work

>AS>     \includegraphics[scale=0.75]{BigFolder/SubFolder/01.pdf}

That is strange, because it should work if your file is really in
BigFolder/SubFolder/01.pdf relative to the current working directory.

>AS> nor does

>AS>     \includegraphics[scale=0.75]{01.pdf}

>AS> with

>AS>     \graphicspath{{./BigFolder/SubFolder/}}

The same should work (By the way the ./ is superfluous)

>AS> both of which I thought ought to work since both BigFolder and the File.tex
>AS> that uses the figures are side by side in the same LargeFolder. I fiddled
>AS> around with / and . in various places but nothing works.

It is not important where the File.tex is located but what is the current
working directory.

--
Piet van Oostrum <piet at cs.uu.nl>